A group of young people with physical disabilities advocate on their own behalf.

Physical disabilities: grants and benefits

As a person living with a disability, you might be entitled to a range of financial support programmes. This might include benefits, tax credits, payments, concessions and grants to help cover the extra costs associated with your disability. We know how confusing this can be, so we want to help you explore and understand exactly what you are entitled to and the different options available.

Below, we have listed some of the key benefits available to you once you complete an assessment with your local authority. This exercise will work out how much assistance you will get and will be revisited regularly to make sure you are getting the right support. For a quick overview, check out the GOV.UK page on Financial help if you're disabled. This page outlines the main disability and sickness benefits available. You can even have a go on the GOV.UK Benefit calculators to help you gain a better understanding of what is offered.

You may qualify for the following:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs. To learn more you can also visit the Scope site and read more about DLA.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP). You may be entitled to a weekly payment from the government. This rate depends on how your condition has an impact on you.

Attendance Allowance. A weekly payment to help with personal care if you are aged 65 or over. It is paid at two different rates, and it will depend on the level of care that you require.

Carer's Allowance. A weekly payment to help you look after someone with extensive care needs. Please note, you don’t need to be related to—or even live with—the individual you care for. You must, however, spend at least 35 hours per week caring for them. You must also be 16 or over.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). If you are disabled, you might be entitled to an ESA. Please note you can apply for this if you are employed, self-employed or unemployed.

Industrial Injuries Benefit. If you became disabled or ill following an accident or disease caused by work (or when you were on an employment training scheme or course) you might be entitled to Industrial Injuries Benefits.

Constant Attendance Allowance. There are four different weekly rates for this allowance. The amount will depend on your disability and your care needs. You can claim for this if you receive an Industrial Injuries Benefit or a War Disablement Pension.

Housing Benefit. You will need to apply to your local council to claim housing benefit or local housing allowance.

Disabled Facilities Grants. If you need to make adaptations to your home (such as installing ramps, improving access in and around your home or perhaps changing lighting and heating facilities), you might be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant from your council.

For more details on resources in Northern Ireland, nidirect has a Guide to financial support for people with disabilities that lists the wide range of options.

You can also seek information from your local disability advice centre, which can be found on Scope’s interactive map. Finally, Disability Rights UK is another reliable resource that can help you explore your options.

Listen to this page: